Wednesday, February 14, 2007

No Valentine's Day Scrooges Here!
Today started out differently than my usual Wednesday. Last night I tried to take my Online Church History and Heritage Test and it froze on me. Because Internet Explorer shut down, I couldn't get back into my test...I had a minor panic attack (I even called my mom!), but I did everything that I could to get in touch with my professor last night. So...this morning I called him before I left for work and finally caught him. He was very understanding and set it up so I could take the test online this morning before I went in to work. Whew!!

As a single young adult, Valentine's Day used to be a sore subject to me, but with my growing contentment and my true joy at have my own place and loving the single lifestyle, I decided that I would not be the Valentine's Day Scrooge this year. I wore a new red blouse (with little silver sparkles) in honor of the day. I've been listening to love songs on my Yahoo! Music Jukebox, and have a love song CD playing in my car.

I've noticed that the assistants & support staff here are very festive with holidays. I've had two valentine cards and candy and even a cookie (one of those wonderful sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles). Part of the not being a Scrooge was not eating all of that to make me feel better. I ate two pieces of candy and put the rest in my candy dish. Now the cookie is calling my name. (I won't eat again until Life Group, so I think it'll be okay to eat it now!)

I've also enjoyed hearing stories of what the married people around me are doing for their spouses. So far our minister of music has been my favorite. He made his wife a homemade card with the word SWEETHEART on it. He took each letter and listed something he loved about her. Way to go Paul! Hallmark doesn't have anything on you!

I know I posted this on my old blog last year on Valentine's Day, but it's still my favorite love poem! (Shakespeare's Sonnet 116)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

So...Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Married friends (or friends with a significant other)...what did you do to celebrate today?

No comments: